Monday 28 May 2012

EPISODE 56: A WEEKEND AWAY


Welcome to my blog which, for the first time, is a little late this week partly because I had an unusually busy weekend and partly because I’ve run out of things to say. Quite how I’m going to capture your interest, or even my own, I’m not sure.

This last week has been summer. It may be the only summer we have or it may herald the stonking best summer since 1976. Yesterday I woke up in Manchester. This wasn’t a surprise to me because I had driven up the day before; two hundred motorway miles at a steady 80mph, restraining myself as much as possible because I was caught speeding a few months ago and already have to do a speed awareness course. (In fact I’m always aware of my speed; my problem is in knowing what speed the speed camera wants me to be going at.) My three speed convictions in fifteen years have all come at the same place, a camera by a set of traffic lights in Bristol. I looked again yesterday and I’m sure there’s no sign on that stretch of road to say what the limit is. (Presumably it is there but deliberately hidden.) I don’t quibble too much with the overall justice of my being caught because I always speed.

I was in Manchester to celebrate the 60th birthday of the mother of my eldest child. She was at Teacher’s Training College when we met and I was waiting to go to university in Birmingham. Before long we had in the fashion of the times ‘dropped-out’ of our respective fully-funded and granted courses. I suppose we may both have reason to regret that choice, because neither of us subsequently settled in professions or careers. Yes, she now has a doctorate and I have two Masters Degrees but that initial sundering from the system was never really rectified. What would have happened if she had secured her teaching certificate and me my silly degree in ‘Behavioural Sciences’ is of course, an unknown. Maybe she would be a retiring headmistress or me a Professor. I don’t regret the decision I made then but I do think it had consequences to our lives that we couldn’t have foreseen.

As it was, we moved to Bristol. How that came about, I don’t know as neither of us knew the place. There I became a roadsweeper and she worked in a bookshop. Being a roadsweeper wasn’t great but it was mostly easy because once the traffic woke-up the busy roads were too busy to clean and I spent most of my days loitering around Clifton zoo listening to the animals and resweeping the same leaves.

The best thing about the job was that we were allowed to take our overtime when we wanted. I remember two or three of us would take our carts out in the middle of the night, drop acid on the Downs at Clifton, wonder around for a few hours and then return back to base to claim our doubletime. Even in those days I was nervous taking acid but I recall that she (my ex) was always fun to trip with because she was funny and insouciant.

Her sixtieth birthday was hard for her, because she was sixty but more because her lifelong partner (after me) died a few months ago, having fallen ill about this time last year. Of course people told her she doesn’t look sixty but she does. A year of misery shows on her face. We were young and beautiful, now look at us.

No don’t.

***

From Manchester I went to Derby. Actually, I went from South Manchester to North Manchester and then back again, (hard to map read and drive at the same time) and then I headed for Derby to meet my friends. It was as perfect a day as one would wish for when crossing the Pennines. I hadn’t driven that road before and it was a shame that despite having set off 90 minutes early I was soon pressed for time and that I had to concentrate on the driving because the views were stunning with rivers and hills and wild moors.

Having set off after just one piece of bread and one cup of tea, my intention was to breakfast on the way but as time passed I thought it best to make the appointment and nourish myself when I got to the marina cafĂ© where I was to meet my friend.  As I got out of the car, however, my friend, Steve, was ready for action. “We’ve started the boats,” he said excitedly. “If you’re up for it we could jump right on and then take a break in half an hour when we get to the first lock.”

I needed a pee, needed a coffee (or at least a tea) and I needed to eat. Surely I could wait just half an hour more?

Five hours later, I still needed a pee, a coffee and something to eat.

Steve has had his boat for four years. Essentially our meetings are for business but we’ve become friends and have some interests, for example football, that we share. I usually spend a couple of hours with him in his house and increasingly he has enthused about the idea of my going on a little trip on his boat. For politeness sake, in the hope that we’d be done with it and because the weather was gorgeous, I agreed that this time we’d chug for a couple of hours. I imagined lying on a deck, listening to the birds, smoking a pipe and drinking cups of tea.

Canal boats are noisy. The river is busy on a summer Sunday. There was nowhere to sit and Steve had no teabags. I had no suncream. Steve’s girlfriend at one point said, “I’ll get us a drink.” My hopes soared but she returned with beer – which I don’t drink. Because the river was so busy they couldn’t find a place to moor so we went on. And on. The sun beat down. We’d come to a lock and everything would get even slower. Off the boat, on the boat. Pull a rope, hold a rope, feel the rope burning your hands. Push this lock gate shut. Hold this rope again. Pull the boat back. What fun this is. And everyone is so friendly and while I’m standing there falsely smiling, they ask about the boat and tell me all about theirs. ‘Carried coal, it did. Last worked in 1985.’

Steve and girlfriend so delighted to be showing me their pride and joy. ‘Wonderful,’ I say.

When I finally get back to my car, I’m four hours late for my next appointment which is 200 miles away. My phone is full of messages asking where I am and if I’m alright. Which, once I’ve had a cup of tea and accelerated to a calming 80mph, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment