Monday 2 July 2012

EPISODE 61: REFLECTIONS ON VOICES NOT HEARD AND AN ATTEMPT AT SHORT STORY REVIEWS


Welcome to my blog which this week begins with thinking about voices. I read in a book; ‘he could no longer remember his grandfather’s voice.’  Immediately I realized that this was true of me. My grandparents were a trinity; grandpa, grandma, and her sister, Auntie Bobbie. In my mind I can sort of see their faces and bodies: grandpa, slightly bent at the shoulders, white hair, glasses, maybe on his bike coming back from the allotment to his bungalow, grey trousers, sports type jacket. Grandma, even whiter hair, dressed in blue, sitting in an armchair sewing. Auntie Bobbie in brown, fiddling with her hearing aid, always up for a game of cards or a story. How I loved them. 

 I can almost hear them talking now. It is near bedtime and I’m having my supper of chocolate biscuit and ribena after a game of solo whist. Maybe grandpa has read something in his paper, the Daily Express, because he is grumbling about the stupidity of people. Grandma gently hushes him and smiles at me. Auntie Bobbie talks back to him and then he hurrumphs at her and she slyly grins at me while pretending to be reprimanded. 

Grandpa had lived through two world wars but the stories he told were of playing cricket, hockey and football with the Maharajas of old India. He used to play cricket with me, bowling overstiffarm with a good spin on the ball. As I think of him now, patiently indulging me, I find I’m rent with sobbing, sorrow and guilt. I was such a wretchedly ungrateful child, always in a temper about something, never realising how graced I was. Too late now, too late now.

My parents too, where have their voices gone? I fear that if they and my grandparents were talking in the next room I wouldn’t know it was them. Those voices that soothed my nights, that led me through my days, that taught me and cared for me, that gave me safety – where are they now? 

***
Last night I went to a watch a band play in a muddy field, less than a mile away. June 30th turned into July 1st as the rain fell. No doubt when the organisers planned the gig, they were imagining a summer’s night revelry beneath the filling moon. No such luck. Instead, wellies and jumpers were required; such is England in the summertime. Fortunately the band was very very good – on the other hand I would think that because two of them are my children. As usual, I was a bit embarrassed to dance, not only in front of my kids but in front of the youth of my town, but their music is so bouncy and uninhibited it would be churlish not to respond. There are times when I find myself dancing next to a beautiful woman who is smiling at me and for a moment I think is she flirting with me but then I recall I’m almost 60 years ago and I move away.

***
Short Stories Review.
 
Unlike my daughter, I find writing book/story reviews very difficult. She recently asked me to review with her the five entrants for an African short story competition. Although I write the occasional short story, I rarely read them, partly I think because I hate getting engrossed in a tale that suddenly finishes on me. When I wrote my most recent story, now called ‘Barmi’, I noticed that while relating one small incident, a story can, almost accidentally it would seem, embrace a much larger theme.

 La sale de Depart
The first time I read this story, I realised that I had lost interest half-way through because there are so many small incidental details that I failed to gather  the main plot which was about a man who been sent away from Senegal to America as a young child to better himself. When I reread the story, I saw it was both universal and particular; universal in that it made me think of Irish emigrants returning to Ireland from America, Indians returning to India from the UK and even Chinese workers returning to the country from the city; and particular because the distance between the two main characters, Ubou and Fatima, is so painfully unbridgeable. It was strange because although I didn’t find the story gripping or emotionally involving, by the end of it I felt I had learned something about the human condition.

Love on Trial by S. Kenani
This is an excellent story, written lightly but saying so much about Malawi, homophobia, Christian hypocrisy and the ironies of life. It begins with an old man who likes his drink stumbling into a toilet where he witnesses a homosexual act.  At first it seems a parochial matter of none but prurient local interest but as the old man keeps repeating the story to whoever will buy him a drink, the tale spreads and becomes a national, and international, issue.
The first victim of the old man’s gossip is the young man, Christopher. He acts with an extraordinary dignity that almost turns the tide in his favour. In fact he becomes a martyr, not by aggressively promoting his point of view but by simply telling his truth. From the perspective of 2012 Britain, it is quite difficult to have any sympathy at all for the narrow-minded bigots who ultimately cause all the trouble and suffering, and yet that battle isn’t over here either.

Urban Zoning by Billy Kahora.
I hated this story both times that I read it and yet it certainly isn’t a bad story. From the beginning I didn’t like either the main character or his milieu. He is a drunkard who uses alcohol to get into ‘the zone’. The description of the zone, and how it gets into it and maintains it, will be familiar to many drug addicts. The zone he gets into, however, is an unpleasant and uncaring, as he seems is be. 

I think what disturbed me most was the language of disrespect that runs through the culture of Ken and his friends. I don’t know why but it feels like the language and attitudes are copied from America, and this jars. On the other hand, the writer is Kenyan and knows better than me how his people talk to one another.

 Having described Ken’s habits and lifestyle, the author then tells us of an incident of abuse that Ken suffered as a boy and that is enough to explain his subsequent behaviour and lack of feeling. Whether Ken is meant to represent Kenya and the abuse that country suffered from the whites, I’m not sure, nor was I clear on the corruption that was going on at the bank where he worked which may have been obvious to a knowing reader but not to me.

The story finishes: ‘They both laughed from deep within their bellies, that laughter of Kenyan men that comes from a special knowledge. The laughter was a language in itself, used to climb from a quiet national desperation’. I guess I didn’t understand what they were laughing at.

Bombay’s Republic by Rotimi Babatunde

I loved this story. I read it first and then last, both times swept up in its matter-of-fact telling of a most amazing tale in which Colour Sergeant Bombay, who went to war ‘as a man and came back as a spotted leopard’, discovered that everything and anything was possible and that his ‘discoveries of the possible would come faster than the leeches in Burma’s crepuscular jungles.’

The language of the story is perfect, the sentences rounded, the rhythm consistent, the vocabulary extensive but not showy, the similes and metaphors delicate and penetrating, the mood both ironic and poignantly tragic.  Bombay witnesses man at his most desperate; he observes, learns, is amazed and ultimately changed.

From this story, I learned nothing in particular about Africa or Africans but everything about the human experience of war.








No comments:

Post a Comment