Monday 17 December 2012

EPISODE 85: MORE WHIMPERING.


Welcome to my blog which is listening to cricket from India. It is a game which sane people would find hard to understand. They are on Day Four of a very slow match, possibly one of the slowest ever, and yet, for all the apparent stagnation, there is a subtle and important ‘great game’ being played.

 Recently cricket has devised a new form of itself with a game that lasts three hours rather than five days.  This new form has become very popular and threatens to become the dominant form, reflecting as it does a modern world where time seems to be limited. For some this is the Americanization of cricket, going for show rather than subtlety. In today’s game England and India are both doing very little for in the context of a twenty day series, of which today is the nineteenth, today is, as the commentator just said, ‘a test of patience’. Patience, in the western world, is not the virtue it once was. Everything has to be done quickly, even therapy which has to be either ‘brief’ or medically assisted for fast results. This short-termism, which no doubt has its virtues, goes against the grain of history as seen from the eastern perspective where time is endless. This perspective allows the recent victims of western military intervention, such as Afghanis, Iraqis, Libyans et cetera, absorb and respond to the brief efforts ‘to sort things out’ by hunkering down and waiting for us to lose interest. Once we’ve gone, they get back to the great game – unless we’ve killed them all first.

---

I am writing this on a borrowed computer. I killed mine yesterday morning. The day before I had put my back out when I leaned over to bleed a radiator. It has been, and is, very painful. (Very painful in my scheme of things; there’s no telling how anyone else would describe it. My guess is that I have a low pain threshold.) The bleeding of the radiator resulted in the heating failing altogether and the subsequent summoning of a plumber. By time he arrived, I was virtually immobile. Fortunately he fixed the heating so at least I was warm when, after an uncomfortable night, I sat in my room at 4 in the morning to watch the cricket. At approximately 4.01 I lifted a cup of coffee to my lips. This movement triggered a back spasm which threw the cup from my hand to the computer keyboard. The result was fatal. Luckily I’ve always backed up my files…NO I HAVEN’T… So, all the work I’ve done for two years, gone.
---

The umpire has just made a decision, a wrong decision that may decide the result of twenty days cricket.
So it goes. Life, eh? Why?

--      
                                                                 
Of late, I’ve been reading or rereading some classics. Graham Green’s Burnt Out Case was one, Steinbeck’s Sweet Tuesday (Thursday?) another, both of which were obvious in their class. When I was a teenager, I was really impressed by James Hogg’s ‘The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner,’ so coming back to it was intriguing. In fact I enjoyed is less this time but mainly because it was familiar and therefore less shocking in its radicalism. Nevertheless, it is a remarkable book. The quote below is from the author, not the book.

The one great error in life is to overrate our talents. When a man is astonished at what he knows, it may be a proof that he has stood on the brink of science; but it is also a proof that he has not discovered it to be boundless and unfathomable. The ignorance of such a person makes him loquacious and opinionative, because he has never known what it is to be beyond his depth.
---

Ravi Shankar claimed that he needed relationships with different women to feed his creativity. Well, of course. I suppose your art has to be recognized for this story to work.

With just two weeks to go even my most superstitious magical-thinking self has had to admit that it really would be a miracle for anything to happen in that time that could make this last year anything other than a fuck-up. Killing my computer accidentally with a back spasm just adds to the problems, financial and practical. My partner has just become unemployed, as I am now following the unfortunate collapse of my business. We are flummoxed. In fact not only have I failed to move towards my goal, I’ve gone backwards. This in the year of the Water-Dragon, the year of belief, my crowning sixtieth, the last make or break.
So it goes, so it goes.

Luckily, none of it matters

---

The next ten days will be family focused. On Wednesday I will be sixty. I guess the Day of the Dead has interfered with my enthusiasm for celebration, perhaps because I wanted to show what I could do, and what I could do didn’t seem to be up to much. Hopefully by then I’ll have sorted my thoughts out and remembered to notice and appreciate the many goodnesses, such as my health and sanity, and the thriving of my children and grandchildren. I could also remember forty-five years ago when I was a rather miserable teenager who used to go to sleep at night imagining I was randomly massacring passers-by with a rifle. So lucky I lived in a society where I would never come across a gun. I don’t know how anyone could forgive their child being murdered whether by a lunatic or by a government dropping bombs from drones.

---

This morning the test cricket series in India comes to an end with England the victors. Instead of listening to the familiar voices bringing me warmth and entertainment from India, I’ll have to return to my meditation and listen out for a different type of sound, that of the universe unfolding.

No comments:

Post a Comment