Monday 24 December 2012

EPISODE 86: SIXTY



Welcome to the penultimate blog in this defeated but bold attempt to deliberately lay new track. The mood of the moment is one of being slightly more reconciled to the situation than I was a week ago.

How satisfying it would have been to have actually achieved what I set out to achieve.

Really that sentence above which I wrote with a wistful tone should really have a question mark at the end of it because the truth is I’ve no idea how satisfying it would have been. As C.S. Lewis pointed out, ‘You never know what might have been.’

---

This week I’ve been bad backing and birthdaying, the latter somewhat handicapped by the former. At some point, actually at many points, it was suggested to me that I should take painkillers. The fact I didn’t shows that the pain was manageable. I even heard myself saying, ‘I don’t really mind this pain’ which wasn’t entirely true because I was grimacing and audibly moaning each time I moved. Half the amount of pain in my tooth would have had me dropping pills but the back was ok. It seems to make a difference where the pain is.

---

5.30 on Christmas eve morning. Guess what; it is raining. A small river flows down the road once more. It has been raining all year and the ground is saturated. Some fields have been under water for the best part of four months. For those who came to Glastonbury Tor for the end of the world the other day, the surrounding floods which are turning the area back into islands must have added a sense of Armageddon to the proceedings. Apparently there were a couple of thousand people on the hill, marking the solstice in a traditional way but more than that, also hoping for something of significance to have happened.

It so happened that two of my more…what is the word?...credulous?...friends visited on that morning at the very time they believed the paradigm shift was occurring. 11.12 came and went. Did we feel any different? For Ken, who is 70, this shift is both real and important. For years he has been preaching about this time when humanity will be divided and the good right thinking folk will have a different end from the bad wrong thinking types. Of course such a script is an anathema for me who’s own sense of justice demands that the world is the same for everyone and that being born at a particular time in history gives you neither more nor less chance of a good life. The idea that we are somehow more advanced than humans before seems to me both arrogant and unjust.

---

I have been studying the work of Peter Wilberg again. What a man! I continue to find his intellect so superior to my own that it is easier to quote him then explain what he is saying. He, in turn, points to Martin Heidegger who wrote:

“Language speaks.”

“Language is the house of being.”

For through these sayings Heidegger reveals how language as such is not, as it is ordinarily understood, a mere tool by which human beings speak and denote the ‘things’ they experience or the ways they understand them. On the contrary, language is the very matrix (Matrika) of experiencing that both speaks us as beings and that also speaks to us through every thing and being we encounter. It does so through the ‘pure’ and open realm of that capacity for a direct “receiving-perceiving” of meaning that Heidegger understood as the very essence of human being. (Wilberg).

---

I have, no doubt, mentioned before that when I first had a child, at the age of 20, I had no belief in ‘family’ as such, especially what was known as the ‘nuclear family’. At the time, I wasn’t in touch with my own parents and siblings and my reading, Laing, Cooper etc, just confirmed that the family was a tool of repression. If you had told me then that 40 years later I’d be a proud grandfather and that my happiest moment would be to be photographed with my progeny, well, I would have laughed at you. Quite honestly, Im amazed by my kids who seemed to have brought real value to old fashioned concepts such as family and community.

Tomorrow our instructions are to go to Bristol to do the morning shift as grandparents. I want to be there as early as possible, between 6 and 7, whereas my partner, who loves the kids despite being unrelated, wants to go for 10 o’clock. I wonder what compromise we will reach. It must be slightly annoying for her because I always ignore Christmas until the 24th when I suddenly become enthusiastic and begin to unpick the plans that she has carefully and sensibly made. Sagittarius and Taurus, spontaneity versus dinner-time.

---

Being 60, does it make a difference? The NHS thinks so because they’ve sent me a free bowel cancer testing kit. Of course 60 isn’t as old as it used to be (although a lifetime smoker like me is actually 70.) One could expect to live another 25 years. I’m not sure at all what I feel about that prospect. I guess that there could be a few sunny days here during that time unless we are to be entirely washed away by the rain. It does mean that the goal I set at the beginning of all this has not been achieved, though even as write that a little thought pops up in my mind saying, ‘hang-on, what if in the next week you received a contract promising you £500 a week for writing, wouldn’t that mean you had succeeded?’ So, okay, let’s wait until the fat lady finishes her song.

The song will be called ‘As Such’ and the words can be Peter Wilberg’s…


Being as such is not a being.
Existence as such is not any existing thing.
Space as such is not a thing or things in space.
Time as such is not an event or process in time.
Awareness as such is not any thing we are aware of.
Experiencing as such is not any thing experienced.
Seeing as such is not anything seen or seeable.
Dreaming as such is not any thing that is dreamt.
Redness as such is not any particular hue of red.


Similarly:

Being as such is not reducible to or derivable from a being or beings.
Existence as such is not reducible to or derivable from any entity or entities.
Space as such is not reducible to or derivable from any things or bodies in space.
Time as such is not reducible to or derivable from any processes or events in time.
Awareness as such is not reducible to or derivable from anything we are aware of.
Experiencing as such is not reducible to or derivable from anything experienced.
Seeing as such is not reducible to or derivable from anything that is seen.
Dreaming as such is not reducible to or derivable from anything dreamt.
Redness as such is not reducible to or derivable from any particular hue of red or red object.

In other words:

Being as such is not a property or product of particular beings.
Existence as such is not a property or product of any entity or entities.
Space as such is not a property or product of any thing or things in space.
Time as such is not a property or product of any events or processes in time.
Awareness as such is not a property or product of any thing we are aware of.
Experiencing as such is not a property or product of anything experienced.
Seeing as such is not a property or product of anything seeable.
Dreaming as such is not a property of product of anything dreamt.
Redness such is not a property or product of any thing that is red.

Finally:

Hardness or solidity as such is not a property or product of any 'physical' object or 'material substance' that is hard.

Reckon that will take a week to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment