Friday 25 October 2013

EPISODE 93: BITS AND BOBS ON RELATIONSHIP.



Welcome

Sutra 3 of the Pratyabhijna Hrdayam states ‘That (i.e. the universe) is manifold because of the differentiation of reciprocally adapted objects and subjects.’

Or ‘The universe appears different to every individual on account of differences in the corresponding subjects and objects’

Or ‘The universe appears different to different perceivers, because of the differences in the external and internal conditions of the perceiver and the perceived in a particular situation.’

Last week I miscalled the beginning of winter and then gossiped about the breakdown of certain relationships. I didn’t know then that I would be an unwitting victim of one of the fall-outs through the man concerned being a business partner of mine. Because of his mental state he’s packing in the business for a year, leaving the country for a very extended break and reconsidering the future of his life. His girlfriend’s bonking could cost me 10,000 a year which is considerably more than half my notional income.

My reason for discussing these relationships is that I have for a while been thinking of making ‘relationship’ a theme for a novel. I tend to treat relationship as an unwanted bind. It was Ramakrishna who said the problems in life are ‘women and gold’ (kamini and kanchan), now more modernly translated as lust and greed. I have often felt that my desire for women has been a weakness in terms of self-reliance. No man is an island but often he wishes he was and why else would yogis need to retreat to caves, away from worldly distraction, to perform their tapasyas and unite with their god , if not because it is either necessary or ideal?
So despite living in almost constant relationship, I have resisted the focus on relationships as being important and found myself asking, ‘what are other people for?’

In my last novel one of the characters turns to his wife and says, ‘Without you, I’d just be me.’ I love the line for its ambiguity and since then I’ve had the idea of writing about relationship. After all I’m supposed to be a Shaivite and shaivites don’t see the universe as an illusion but as a real emanation of - for want of a better word - god (or less provocatively, universal consciousness). It is the vedantins that mistrust the world and push us back into the idea that we must be alone and untouchable. It now seems (to me) that now only is this idea impracticable but also it is impossible.

Like many, my unscientifically trained and forgetful mind, will take hold of a fact and misremember it for some time after. One of these facts is that neuroscientifically speaking each of our brains is dependent on other brains to grow and that two brains can’t meet without interacting and changing one another. Another of these facts is that quantamly we are in constant relationship as our respective molecules bombard one another. (Okay, I know that probably doesn’t make any sense but it will do for the moment as a clue to my meaning.)

I will leave that there for the moment because I am distracted by other stories
---.

Yesterday I visited someone that I fell out with some eighteen months ago when he was having a breakdown of sorts. Before seeing him I’d been told the news that his daughter had just experienced something similar and that the doctors seemed to think that she had been within hours of losing her grip on reality altogether on a long-term basis.

On arriving outside the blocks of flat in which Barmi lives, I saw his partner, (who is not the mother of his kids or had anything to do with the daughter concerned) tending a fire in a small brazier by the front entrance to the flats.  What she was burning, I don’t know, but it stank of things that shouldn’t be burned.

When I saw Barmi, he said, ‘Have you seen the mad woman?’ He then told me that she hadn’t eaten or slept for a week, that she was setting fire to noxious things in that brazier every day and that if he left her alone she would wander, only to be found hours later staring at a wall or at a piece of shit on the ground.

What the fuck is going on here?

He tells me that neither his woman nor his daughter has been taking drugs and that these episodes have risen spontaneously and separately. How can this be?

Another story: A young man’s Polish mother died two years ago, thus elevating him from a half-employed overgrown teenager into a hardworking two house owning man with a Polish girlfriend who just three weeks ago became his wife. Ten days ago they had their first baby. The girl’s mother had flown in from Poland for the occasion and to help out for a short time. She’s staying in their little house and won’t go away again and has formed an alliance with her daughter that is excluding Master Sam and preventing him from forming that nuclear family bond that he feels is necessary. Master and Mrs Sam have begun to argue. It could be that he has suddenly realized he has made a big mistake. He loves his new baby girl, yes, but does he love his wife anymore? We shall see.
---

Oh yes, the quotes from the Pratyabhijna, what are they about?

Well, I have just spent the last couple of days reading a 1977 dissertation called Śaiva Encounter With Buddhism In Iśvara-Pratyabhijñā-Vimarśinī by Sharada Ramasubrahmanian  in which he elucidates the difference between the Buddhist and Shaivite theories of Self. The crux of the argument appears to be around memory and whether being able to recall things means that there has been a continuity of self.
Mr Sharada appears to do a good job at comparing the two soteriological philosophies and points out the doctrine of bhedabheda (unity in diversity) is the means by which the Shaivites explain not only memory but relationship at all, for to have a relationship you need two relatum, something which Buddhism does not recognize. How does the one become two? Well that, apparently, is explained in the sutra at the beginning of this entry.



No comments:

Post a Comment