Sunday 30 September 2012

EPISODE 74: FEELING FRAUGHT



Welcome to my blog which today will be driving to Birmingham to attend my grandson’s tenth birthday party. It will be a day off from putting little ticks by my lists to infer that something useful has been done. As time flies past it’d be nice to think that things are being achieved, that the event is taking form but whether we are any closer to the goal than we were a week ago, I don’t know. It is a while now since I consulted my books and rectified my thoughts. What thoughts would be helpful?

All is going to plan

Is that the best thought I can come up with? 

Everything that can be done, has been done.

There’s something not very inspiring about these thoughts. Maybe as I dash up North, I’d be best conjuring up a bit of panache to inspire myself, if no-one else.
Meanwhile…meanwhile what? Meanwhile, I can’t think of anything else to write about so I might as well get ready for the journey.

It is difficult to judge at this stage what my failings have been.  Probably the reliance on email rather than the phone, coupled with a reluctance to go out and meet people, has let me down. What I’ve caught myself saying to myself is that ‘there have been no nice surprises’, no donation out of the blue, no surprising encouragement from an unexpected source, no relieving letter on the floor, no big name volunteering themselves for free.  This feeling of wanting something like that to happen isn’t new…always wanting a publisher to contact me, to win a prize, to receive unexpected confirmation. I guess this pattern began in childhood and maybe then, through the grace of a grandparent or a birthday, my desire for magical solutions was satisfied.

Back home; no emails, no post, nothing on facebook, no phonecalls.
---

My grandson was lovely and his friends enjoyed the party; ten year old boys having the greatest funding jumping on balloons. He has known most of these kids at school for five, even six, years. They are used to each other. Whether Steiner education is theoretically sound, I’ve no idea; certainly it could seem to do with some modernization; however, for my grandson it has been nourishing and successful. What happens as secondary school approaches remains to be seen. The parents have to make a choice; to stay with Steiner or transfer to a ‘normal’ school. My daughter is tempted to move him because she doesn’t want him to be disadvantaged academically. The danger is that it will mess him up socially and the state of comparative innocence that exudes from him will become disturbed if not destroyed. A year or two ago, I would have supported a move but now, with my communistic hippy values to the fore, I tend to think the further away he is from mainstream culture the better.

It was sad to see my daughter’s mother still being ripped apart by her husband’s death earlier this year. When you’ve got so used to being two, being one can never feel right. For someone with a career or a strong sense of purpose, then maybe there is something to fall back on. For her, who has usually reacted to situations rather than having a plan, then this a life-crisis on many levels. How she can get out of this, I don’t know. Really she has to start all over by finding a new way to see herself and for this she needs either revelation or to expose herself to a damn good teacher – a Byron Katie perhaps. Although she’s the same age as me, I’d guess that all being well she’ll outlive me by ten or twenty years. It’ll be a hard hard road unless she finds a spiritual answer.

The story of a 31 year old teacher running away to France with a 15 year old girl titillated the media this week, alongside a much darker story of the organized sexual abuse of young white girls by Pakistani men in the North of England. 

Clearly the teacher has erred badly and until one hears his excuse, there is no excuse for him. As a man myself, I can hardly pretend that being susceptible to perceived Lolitas is extraordinary or even unusual or, for that matter, morally wrong. It is, however, undoubtedly legally, socially and professionally wrong and I imagine he’ll pay a high price for it.

A woman I know, who was sexually abused for a number of years from 11 onwards, has frequently tried to explain to me the guilt she feels for her complicity. Once the initial abuse took place, she sought it out and made it happen. Much of it she enjoyed in the moment though clearly there was much she didn’t enjoy. She cannot free herself of this guilt. She understand in her mind that she did no wrong but inside that isn’t how she sees it and that makes the abuse even worse.

And this was often the problem with the girls in the North of England. They were addicted to their abusers so at the same time they complained they got on the bus and went back for more. Many referred to the men as their boyfriends. The attention they had from these men was the only attention they got and attention makes you real to yourself.

As for these men…well, they are men. Moslem culture makes their women unavailable so they take their frustration out on the girls. Stupid men, stupid religion, stupid culture, stupid stupid world.

Or maybe it’s just me.

Send a call out for Mr Positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment