Sunday 7 October 2012

EPISODE 75: BITS OF LIFE.



Welcome to my blog which is cold this morning; yesterday we had rain which again made the garden so sodden could I hardly walk in it. Today I have to go postering, having first to drive to Bristol to pick up some tickets. So far, none have sold and I’ve had zero emails making enquiries. I’d like to be feeling positive about the whole thing but have nothing to grab hold of, nothing to comfort myself with. Meanwhile I get a bank statement which puts me £4,000 in the red. Today would be a good day for good news.

There again, it is all perspective. My brother, who already has cancer, is now being tested for dementia. I’d hate to be him and I’d hate to be his family. (Well, I am his family, but I mean his wife and children.)  Apparently he is doing okay with it all but surely the outlook is grim with increasing isolation and detachment likely to be his path. Whereas for me, I can be fretting about this project and how I’ll recover financially, for him the grand projects are over. Of course, having being engaged in ‘the world’ for most of his life, he has a string of projects behind him and may even be grateful to let all that go. 

Though I doubt it.

Mind you, reflecting on my good fortune as opposed to his, is not really positivity or confidence; more whistling in the dark than anything real. 

Have I done my best? 

I guess I have.

I was very surprised the other day that when arguing with Howard about the nature of things, I felt myself become emotional and heard my voice shaking a little, as if tears weren’t too far away. This puzzled me; why did I get like that? People that know him often say they become frustrated and angry with him because he won’t listen and cuts across them and indeed he kept doing this to me by assuming he knew my stance and what I was going to say - which did piss me off. My problem, however, was more my frustration at not finding the words and concepts I needed to explain what it was I did want to convey and I was wishing I had the intellect and reason of a Peter Wilberg to swipe away the midge of Howard’s ignorance.

Now I begin to remember what we were talking about – the origins of Shaivism and Indian thought which Howard seemed to think was animistic in its ‘religion’. When I think of the crafted classical darshanas of Indian philosophy compared with the trivia of the modern materialist (whose arguments were dismissed contemptuously a thousand years ago) I find myself wanting to shout some sense into my Dawkins disciple but as aggression is the mark of the fanatic rather than the gnostic, I must examine myself rather than my imaginary opponent.

---

Not for the first time, Alison points out the world around us. ‘That tree, this car, you say they are illusions?’ ‘Yes,’ I reply. Then, thinking of my shaivism, I add, ‘real illusions’. I shouldn’t have added that bit because it didn’t help.

---

I did put some posters up today. Not a lot. I drove through one, mainly bypassed, town called Axbridge. It was very strange because there were loads and loads of houses, old ones in the heart of the town, new ones all around, but hardly any  people to be seen and only a couple of shops to be found, those in ‘the medieval square’ at the centre of the  maze that now circumnavigates it. We asked, ‘Is this all there is?’ and the few people we found all replied ‘yes.’ The teenagers said there was absolutely nothing to do and that the town was ‘rubbish.’ They even thanked me when I said I was putting up a poster for them to look at when they were bored. Apparently Axbridge has a high rate of drug addiction. Pretty obvious why, a dormitory town in every sense of the word.

Cheddar, a few miles down the road, is totally different because it has the caves and hundreds of tourists buying shit for stupid prices. The cafes and shops there weren’t very poster friendly until Alison charmed a young man into putting five up in his shop and taking another five to put in his dad’s shop. Of course, once he’s stopped being dazzled by her smile and looked at the topic of the posters, he may well change or have it changed by his dad.

This week I reread one of my favourite novels, ‘Sacred Games’ by Vikram Chandra. I read it first four or five years ago and immediately put it near the top of my list. Earlier this year, my partner read it in Spanish and enjoyed it as much as I had done. I’ve been rationing my novel reading of late – in order to focus on the Day of the Dead – but the 900 pages of this book have passed in a flash, or rather, I’ve become so engrossed that my bath water has become cold by time I’ve forced myself to put the book down. (I do most of my reading in the bath.) It is a beautifully written story that sheds light on everything from murder and rape to the cosmic process. Amazing, and far superior to anything the west could come up with. (Though I shouldn’t forget Louis de Berniers.) Which reminds me that on Thursday I put Cervantes (Don Quixote) and Dickens (Pickwick) into the recycling.

Having said that, I hope I don’t have to explain to the authors why I’ve dismissed their efforts. I don’t suppose they’d be too keen on Boggy Starless either.

No comments:

Post a Comment