Sunday 21 October 2012

.EPISODE 77: WHISTLING IN THE DARK.



Welcome to my blog which wants, for once, to genuinely uplift its thinking. Today (Monday) I applied some Avatar to my thoughts beginning by noticing both my (over) seriousness and my discouragements. The question was; What do you want to change? And the answer was, I want to change the feelings I have about the success of the day of the dead. The next question is ‘what beliefs do you have to have to have that feeling?’ For me the beliefs were, ‘no-one has bought tickets, no-one has contacted me as a result of the website or my articles, and there’s too much competition.’ These, to me, were entirely rational and provable beliefs.   However, on reflection I saw that the conclusions I was reaching were premature. I then tried, ‘I’m amazed by the interest already shown,’ which quite quickly was true because a lot of interest has been shown by people I wouldn’t normally make contact with.

BELIEF COMES BEFORE EXPERIENCE.

That is the key to Avatar, one that I forget on a daily basis. Only this morning I remembered that I wanted to apply this to death as well. What are my beliefs about death? What beliefs would I create? But before death, the day of the dead; tomorrow I must revisit this subject and deliberately create the beliefs I want to have.

Apart from thinking about my thinking, what else did I do today? Well I started with meditation and chi kung, both of which I have been neglected. Straightaway I felt better in myself. I then visited a friend, Marie, who was ranting about the ingratitude of her 18 year old daughter who has left home and all but dropped out of college. I told her she was being harsh and flailing her daughter with her opinions wasn’t really going to get her anywhere. ‘Don’t take it personally,’ I advised, ‘She’s talking to an imaginary you.’ Of course I added my usual rider about don’t listen to me what should I know.
What I didn’t do was postering. There is something I need to change my thoughts about. ‘through postering I make surprising discoveries and useful contacts.’ Or…no, better stop there.

Saturday
Suddenly it is Saturday morning. For the past few days my mood, bar one grumpy morning, has been generally good although how much work I’ve actually done, I don’t know. (The postering has remained slack.) Yesterday I met the local ‘carers’ ambassador’, as dynamic a woman as I’d ever want to come across. She was full of ideas for the future (which I’m not so keen on at this moment) and in the meantime will drag me on to the local radio with her a couple of days before the event.
 After seeing her I met an artist who was, with difficulty, conducting a free mask-making workshop. She had lots of tips and advice for our own workshop – including suggesting that we found a different way of doing it.

On Thursday I went to Bridgewater to attend a meeting of the Mendip Forum. There I managed to pin down a couple of people to talk about the Day of the Dead. This showed me that, should I ever do this again, I really would have to get off my arse and ring people rather than send out the endless emails.

Financially I’m struggling. I owe someone £2000 and he’s on the phone hassling. I’m behind on my bills and have sold no tickets I’m aware of.  This bit is hard to be positive about. I’m awaiting a miracle.
---
This week I read ‘Sea of Poppies’ by Amitav Ghosh. I began reading it four years ago but couldn’t get past the first chapter, a) because it is about boats and b) much of the language is arcane or in dialect. Every now and then I have begun again and still not got far. I’ve read other books by Ghosh, ‘The Hungry Tide’ and ‘The Glass Palace,’ which were excellent, so this time I stuck with it and found it very readable. Nevertheless, having whipped through the 450 pages, I was disappointed to discover that it came to no end and was to be the first part of an intended trilogy.
---
This is the reply I received to the letter about my brother’s illness.
With regards to your brother’s condition however, I think it would help if, before commenting, you could first tell me a little bit more about the onset, history, nature and severity of his symptoms, any medical diagnosis or important elements of his medical history (in particular any use of prescription drugs) and also something about his life history, current life circumstances and previous communicative environment (not least his own age). 

Different people not only inhabit different linguistic worlds, communities and environments they may also have a different inner relation to language. Then again, as emphasised in my new book The Illness is the Cure – an introduction to Life Medicine and Life Doctoring (see also www.lifedoctoring.org.uk ) there is often a close relationship between the onset of symptoms, preceding events in a person’s life, not to mention their underlying feelings and bearing towards life in this world.

As far as any general comments I can make at this stage are concerned, I can only say that for me the most primordial level of ‘speech’ is awareness as such – for the nature, mood, tone and quality of an individual’s awareness of themselves communicates in and of itself, both directly and through their bodily comportment and demeanour. As for the divine awareness, that speaks through the languages of the body, the senses and all that we experience directly as sensual qualities and phenomena  - even and above all without putting a word or name to them (this not perceiving things ‘as’ this or that being also what makes possible the wonderful experience of ‘Samadhi’ as a highly sensual form of ‘awareness bliss’ or chitananda).     

Partly for such reasons, I also think also that severe dementia in old age is often misinterpreted. You wrote of ‘dying before dying’. And indeed, as I understand it, death is not a point in time but a process – one which for some may involve different degrees and stages – more or less extreme – of withdrawal from the realm of language; in the case of Alzheimer’s disease for example, a type of free-flowing awareness across time that cannot be encapsulated in words, and that is more akin to the nature of time as experienced in the afterlife.

That said, naturally the most important question is how much your brother is suffering or feels depressed or isolated through his language loss. If he does, there are aware ways of being with those who can’t speak that can serve in a most powerful way to overcome this sense of inner isolation. Indeed some such ways of silently ‘being with’  another can allow depths of wordless inner contact and communication to be experienced that most people rarely experience in this life - and that verbal communication is itself but a pale echo and expression of. It is also such modes of wordless, silently embodied communication that form the basis of what I call ‘tantric pair meditation’ and the forms of initiation conducted through it.

On a practical level, do free to write again. I would also suggest looking at the section of my book and site on life doctoring entitled ‘What most doctors don’t ask’. If perhaps you could write answers with your brother, or on your brother’s behalf, to some of the questions listed there, this might also prove useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment