Monday 29 October 2012

EPISODE 78: THE BALLS ARE IN THE AIR, WILL HE CATCH ANY?

Welcome to my blog which this week will say very little because I am less than a week away from the Day of the Dead which has claimed my energy and imagination for months. The truth is that we have sold fuck-all tickets and there is little reason to expect more than a handful of people to the program. So it goes.

..
Is Monday morning. In myself I'm fine but as a promoter I'm freaking. Mainly about money. Yesterday I watched the zombie walk - which I should have been leafleting - with a mixture of feelings. I was comparing it to what might happen next Saturday. In fact it wasn't that impressive with a poorer turn out than I would have expected considering the amount of advertising and public support they have had.
--
This week I may write a daily update so keep checking. At night I have been spending an hour in the bath - hence have read four thrillers this week - and then gone to bed desperately trying to think of anything but the Day and each time my thoughts start making lists I try and persuade them to imagine a cricket game in which I'm playing for Yorkshire. But, by 3 in the morning, I can hear the lists been made again.
--
Monday night. The best moment was the printer saying, 'loads of people are talking about it.' Which seemed true when BBC Somerset left a message about interviewing them on saturday morning. The low point was Alison getting pissy when I didn't immediately agree to her idea. Earlier we went for a wmeeting with children's world, two guys who really care what they do. They were telling us what visiting Sri Lanka was like just after the tsunami. 
...
Slept badly. Got up at 5.30 to do my tax  return but coldn't focus. Went down to the centre at 6.30 to see if i could put the banner up. No way. Potteredd uselessly for a bit then met up with Alison and others. Fortunately Delphi found a way to put it up. This achieved at 5pm. BBC Somerset want me to go to Taunton at 7.30 Saturday morning. Unwise I think. At times today very very nervous about the public speaking - not to mention the money. Have to go out tonight; sounds like I need to address my thoughts in the morning.
---
Wednesday morning: the website is down, can't get my emails. This is because according to my 'server', I've exceeded my bandwith. For three days I've been trying to alert the server to this error and now it has crashed. Can't even try ringing them u ntil 10.00am because otherwise they charge £40 for the phonecall.
... 
wednesday pm: Alison sent messages saying in personal melt down, doesn't even know if she wants to go to the event. Can't blame her.
Having a crisis about ringing Copperdollar. Need to know if they are planning an act with live, rather than recorded, music. If so we're fucked. Haven't made myself ring. 
...In the end sorted it out by email.
Also today I went to visit a woman who has donated her house for the use of Copperdollar. I asked her why she was doing it and she said 'it is what i do to help.' She didn't want me to tell anyone her name or address. Amazing.
---
Thursday. Just back from radio interview with local radio. I'd been shitting myself all day but it went really well. I really wish I didn't make such heavy weather of it. Earlier in the day, Alison had sat in the car crying because she's scared of the time she has on her hands...Meanwhile I've begun to think of a novel called 'Without You.'
--- 
Friday 11am. Worse than i could have thought; one ticket sold for tonight, none for tomorrow. 
friday 9pm. Very quiet at the gig when i left at 9pm. 
--
Saturday 7am
maybe 60-70 people turned up last night, half the hoped for crowd. Today I am on the radio in 30 minutes and then the days begins. I rather think it is going to be an empty day but it would be lovely if glastonbury didn't let me down for the parade. 

Sunday 2am
All over. .. I must admit there were moments when the vision was created. Those moments were mainly created by Copperdollar who were extraordinary and, without whom, the event would have been a total flop .Their appearance at the Market Cross, where they were met by another fifteen foot puppet that hadn't expected to see, was stunning and there was just enough crowd to appreciate it. The party afterwards was great. The Mexicans were fun, Bob Heath was sweet and appropriate, Flipron sounded good to me and Copperdollar were again good value. So much more I could say but of course it is history and I must sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment